Best Recumbent Exercise Bike Reviews 2018 – Ultimate Guide
Before we take a look at some recumbent exercise bikes or the best recumbent exercise bike, we need to explain what this bike actually is. At first glance it might seem like they’re no different from your typical exercise bike, and in a sense that is true as they are as feature packed as other workout bikes. What makes these machines different from the standard exercise bike is your stance while working out: you are in a reclined position rather than being upright.
We will examine the benefits of the set up a little later, but suffice to say for now that it has its advantages and generally makes you feel more comfortable. When it comes to the other aspects of the design, these bikes are right up there with the best and are as ergonomic and functional as other types.
While these bikes are fully functional, these models come with different features, so you need to find one that suits your goals. All of these are fitness bikes but in terms of functions and features they vary considerably. However, the most feature packed exercise bike isn’t necessarily the best, as it is more dependent on your objectives.
Table of Contents
- 1 Our Best Recumbent Exercise Bike - Comparison Table
- 2 Our Best Recumbent Exercise Bikes Picks
- 3 How to Choose the Best Recumbent Bike for You
- 4 Benefits of Recumbent Bikes and How They Work
- 5 Recumbent Exercise Bikes vs Upright Exercise Bikes
Our Best Recumbent Exercise Bike - Comparison Table
- Schwinn 230 Recumbent Bike
- Type - Recumbent Exercise Bike
- Weight Capacity- 300 Pounds
- Dimensions (L x W x H) 64''x27.7''x 49.9"
- Schwinn 270 Recumbent Bike
- Type - Recumbent Exercise Bike
- Weight Capacity- 300 Pounds
- Dimensions (L x W x H) 33''x19''x 49.9"
- Sunny Health & Fitness bike
- Type - Folding Recumbent Bike
- Weight Capacity- 220 Pounds
- Dimensions (L x W x H) 18''x18.5''x 52"
- Exerpeutic 4000 Magnetic Bike
- Type - Recumbent Exercise Bike
- Weight Capacity- 325 pounds
- Dimensions (L x W x H) 58''x30''x 41"
- ProGear 190 Compact Bike
- Type - Recumbent Exercise Bike
- Weight Capacity- 275 pounds
- Dimensions (L x W x H) 38''x21''x 44"
Our Best Recumbent Exercise Bikes Picks
Now that you are familiar with recumbent bikes, their benefits and how they work, it’s time to look at the top recumbent bikes available today.
1. Schwinn 230 Recumbent Bike
The Schwinn 230 is one of the best home exercise bike models you can buy today. Its LCD system has dual tracks so you can check up to 13 types of feedbacks, and with its Schwinn Connect you can keep tabs of your objectives quickly. There are 22 preset programs included so your workouts won’t be monotonous.
Aside from the programs, the bike has 20 resistance levels, and couple that with the weighted flywheel and you’re in for a challenge in each workout. The Schwinn also has a USB port for data exchange and charging, plus the vented seat keeps you comfortable during workouts.
The bike runs quietly regardless of the setting, and with a center frame and integrated levers, ensures the platform is safe and stable for working out. We should also point the unit comes with transport wheels so you can move the bike around easily. Other features include ergonomic grips, static handlebars, a 3 speed fan and acoustic chamber speakers. Overall this is a solid, full-featured bike that will get you in shape.
2. Schwinn 270 Recumbent Bike
The 270 is considered by many to be one of the best indoor cycling bike models owing to its features and ease of use. Its LCD monitor is bright and makes it easy to read the data being displayed. There are 20 preset workout programs bundled in the bike, plus there are 4 user settings and a goal tracker as well.
Like other Schwinn exercise bikes, the 270 has the Schwinn Connect for data export and tracking so you’ll be motivated to keep going. The 270 bike also has 25 resistance levels and a weighted flywheel for intense workouts. In addition there is a USB charger for your mobile devices and data.
This is a versatile exercise bike, easy to use and versatile. The directions are clear, and being able to configure settings for four users is a nice touch. With adjustments requiring just a push of a button, the 270 is ideal for everyone, beginners and advanced fitness buffs. The bike runs quietly and you can adjust the seat to suit your comfort level too.
3. Sunny Health & Fitness Folding Recumbent Bike
The Sunny Health Bike is a stowaway recumbent folding bike, meaning you can fold the frame once you’re done using it. Not only does it save space, but the bike comes with an adjustable magnetic resistance mechanism so you can work out to the level you’re comfortable with.
The foot pedals have nonskid properties and straps so you won’t slip and slide. Once you’re on the Sunny Health, its display keeps track of the calories you have burned, the distance you traveled, speed and time. The seat can be adjusted to suit users of different heights, and the cushioned seat keeps you comfortable.
The bike is made of steel and plastic, and there are more than enough features here to satisfy your fitness needs. If you want a home exercise machine that won’t occupy a lot of space, the Sunny Health exercise bike is a good option. The bike does not come with a lot of frills, but it gets things done insofar as getting you into shape is concerned, and that’s what matters.
4. Exerpeutic 4000 Magnetic Recumbent Bike
The Exerpeutic 4000 belongs to any list of the best stationary bike for home. Its Air Soft seat is soft and oversized, and it makes use of aerodynamic health care technology so air is able to breath in the material. The recumbent bike also comes with the MyCloud Fitness App so you can track your progress.
There are a dozen programmable options built in, and the Exerpeutic 4000 monitors your heart rate, distance, time as well as the watts and RPM. The bike also lets you adjust the 24 level magnetic tension system to suit your workouts, and with a weight capacity of 325 lbs. it’s more than capable of meeting the needs of every day users.
Lastly, the Exerpeutic 4000 has full connectivity options so you can listen to music, check your mail and watch movies while working out. There are 7 preset workout programs to choose from, and you can customize them to meet your particular need. And don’t worry about comfort with its 3 inch padding and specially made upholstery.
5. ProGear 190 Compact Recumbent Bike
There are a lot of reasons to consider the ProGear 190 one of the top rated exercise bikes, beginning with its recumbent design that makes it easy for you to get on and off the bike, allowing for a more comfortable workout. The bike’s LCD screen is large and makes it easy to read the data being presented, and there’s a lot including speed, time, calories burned, heart rate and more.
Its magnetic tension control system has 8 levels, allowing you to adjust the tension to match your progression and make your workouts more difficult. The bike is also notable for its large pedals that ensure your feet won’t slip while you’re cycling hard and pushing yourself.
The ProGear 190 also has hand pulse sensors so you can keep track of your heart rate target zone. As was mentioned earlier, its seat is large and should fit people individuals with varying physiques. We should also point out that this exercise bike runs quietly so you can watch movies or listen to music while working out.
6. Velocity Exercise CHB-R2101 Recumbent Exercise Bike
The Velocity is more powerful than your typical upright exercise bike as it comes with 8 preset resistance levels, allowing you to work your way up. The bike also comes with a two way flywheel so movement is smooth and you’re comfortable while using it. The Velocity also scores points for convenience as it has transport wheels for moving the bike around.
The foot pedals have padding for comfort, and you can adjust the straps so you remain comfortable while on the exercise bike. The Velocity frame is sturdy and coupled with its powder coat finish, you’re assured this is one exercise machine that is built to last. In terms of operation, the Velocity is one of the quietest in its range too.
Lastly, the LCD screen is clear and bright so you can read the data. Speaking of data, the Velocity keeps you updated by keeping track of your calories, pulse, distance covered, speed and other essential information. While there is a lot of information, they are presented clearly so at a glance you can read the figures.
How to Choose the Best Recumbent Bike for You
Recumbent exercise bike reviews can help you develop insights into a bike’s functionality and how well it handles in real life situations. And it will also help you to choose the best recumbent exercise bike. You cannot rely on user feedback alone however as you also need to look at specific features.
- LCD Screen: The LCD screen is where the console displays the information. The screen should be bright so data is easy to read.
- Console: This is where the bike collects information about your performance and displays it. This is also where you adjust settings and control the bike’s functions and any preset workouts.
- Information Displayed: At the very least the console should provide details of your workout duration and the distance you covered. Other useful info are number of calories burned, average speed and options for adjusting workout settings.
- Heart Rate Monitor: Exercise bikes with a heart rate monitor cost more, but it’s a nice feature because during cardio workouts, you will want to keep an eye on your heart rate so it’s optimized for burning fats.
- Ergonomics: How comfortable is the bike? Are the controls easy to reach? An ergonomically designed exercise bike should keep you feeling comfortable for the duration of your workout.
Benefits of Recumbent Bikes and How They Work
This stationary bike review will now look at the benefits these exercise machines can provide.
- As we mentioned earlier, these exercise bikes place you in a recline position. Compared to the usual upright, it makes you feel more comfortable even for prolonged workout periods.
- These bikes are appropriate for those with back problems as it lets you work out without putting undue pressure on your back.
- Weight Loss and Fitness: Exercise bikes help you lose weight and burn calories. In addition to getting rid of the excess weight, an exercise bike increases the strength of your lungs and heart, which is good for you. If you bike at 15 km / 9 miles per hour, you’re going to lose .almost 3 calories per kilo of your body weight every 30 minutes. If you weigh 220 lbs. that is around 300 calories every half hour.
- Work Out Smarter, Not Harder: one of the benefits of these exercise bikes is it allows you to work out more effectively. A common mistake made by those exercising for the first time is pushing too hard. You’re not going to lose weight this way, and in fact it’s going to make you more vulnerable to injuries. By using an exercise bike, you’ll burn more calories and pounds without risking injury.
- The Bike Makes Progression Easy: as you work out, your speed and resistance levels increase, and these bikes can be adjusted to meet your new specifications. Once you’ve built up a basic fitness level you can boost the intensity of your workouts
- Convenient to Use: you can use a recumbent bike day or night, whether it’s raining outside or the sun is shining brightly. If you’ve got a packed schedule and have very little time for exercise, a workout bike is the answer since you can use it anytime you want.
- Exercise Your Way: some of these bikes allow for custom workouts, and since you’re at home, you can watch TV or listen to music while you’re working out.
- Cost Effective: buying an exercise bike is cheaper than paying for gym membership and a personal trainer, but it is just as effective.
- Exercise in Private: if you are feeling self-conscious and don’t feel like working out with other gym buffs, an exercise bike is the ideal option as it’s going to get you in shape.
There is no mystery regarding how these bikes work: just like a regular bike, you sit down, grab the handlebars and start pedaling. What makes these bikes so appealing is they work out different parts of your body, and it is more convenient than a regular bike. Bottom line: it’s good for your health and definitely worth investing in.
Recumbent Exercise Bikes vs Upright Exercise Bikes
Recumbent bike benefits outweigh those of an upright bike. The biggest difference between the two is upright bikes tend to be uncomfortable in the long run, often forcing people to cut down their workouts short. In contrast, recumbent bikes leave you feeling comfortable and relaxed
How is the Noise the Bike Makes?
The best recumbent bike doesn’t make a lot of noise, but even the mid-range models are generally quiet. The noise level is affected by the bike’s resistance, but the bigger factor is the fan: exercise bikes with fans produce noise due to air resistance. The harder you work out, the more breeze is produced and the louder the fan gets. Some of these exercise bikes provide options for changing the fan settings to reduce the noise, so look for those if the noise gets to you.
The noise level really should not bother you unless you are watching TV or listening to music while working out. Even so, the noise generated by these fans is often unobtrusive and shouldn’t be a concern. The product description should give you an idea of how much noise the exercise bike makes and if it going to be a problem.
Is the Bike Safe for Your Kids?
If there are kids with you in the house, make sure your recumbent stationary bike has safety features to prevent accidents. Pay close attention in particular to the flywheel and the chain; these should be concealed for safety purposes. The other mechanical parts should be covered too so kids don’t get their fingers stuck there.
Read the instructions that come with the bike to ensure you are using it correctly. Once you are done using the bike for the day, make sure it is stored safely away so the kids won’t be able to access it while you’re away. Generally speaking exercise bikes are safe to operate and use, but with kids you can never be too sure so it’s best not to risk it. Lastly, don’t forget your own safety, so use the bike only as directed to avoid damaging it.
Other Recumbent Bike Considerations
Aside from the factors we have discussed earlier, there are other issues you need to consider before buying and using a best recumbent exercise bike.
- Wear Proper Shoes: Wear shoes that are comfortable. There are shoes designed specifically for working out and it’s a good idea to look at those. Generally speaking however, most shoes will do fine for these exercise bikes. As long as you’re comfortable and it doesn’t feel too tight, you will be fine.
- Workout Clothing: Wear clothing you’re comfortable in. Again this is a matter of personal preference, but your shirt should be made of cool, soft material. Your clothes should be loose as well because you’re going to sweat a lot when riding at the high settings even with the bike’s fan on.
- Recumbent Bike Maintenance: Clean your exercise bike after each workout, and inspect the pedals at least once a week to make sure they’re tight. You should also clean the flywheel once a week to prevent dust from accumulating.
So there you have it, our picks for the best recumbent exercise bikes. I just could not pick one since there are so many to choose from, and I can assure you they are all well-rounded and built to give you optimum results. Everyone has their own idea as to which recumbent bike suits their needs best, but what I can say is that with the top 6 bikes here, you’ll be on your way to getting fit soon. So do you want to start working out and get in shape? Then check out one of these recumbent bikes now given in our recumbent exercise bike reviews !